PGDM Retail & Marketing Management
Two - Year (Full-Time) Post Graduate Diploma In Management(PGDM-Retail & Marketing Management)
Jagan Institute of Management Studies has evolved as an institution of excellence and commitment in the field of Management and Technical education. The institute from the very outset focused on professional studies at the Post- graduate level with a view to tap, direct and channelize the enormous talent pool in the country. We offer Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM-Retail & Marketing Management) (two year - Full Time). The Programme is duly approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), Ministry of HRD, Government of India.
The course aims at providing students with a comprehensive understanding of the theoretical and applied aspects of retail & marketing management. The curriculum has been designed keeping into consideration the requirement of Retail industry as well as retail operations of other industries such as banking, telecom, insurance, consumer durable, hospitality, etc. The course shall provide extensive training to the students on existing and emerging trends in Retail management and shall cover various aspects of marketing, stores, finance, HR and other stores operations. During the two years course, besides general management subjects, students shall also gain proficiency in Retail stores management, Retail strategy and planning, Technology in Retail, Legal aspects of Retailing, CRM in Retail, Visual Merchandising, etc. The students after passing out this course are expected to fulfill the growing demand for middle and senior management positions in the backend retail functions apart from those existing in front end marketing operations.
Pedagogy/ Teaching Methodology
- PGDM (RM) course shall be conducted through Trimester systems with six terms spread over two years. (Three trimesters in each year)
- There shall be total 40 papers to be covered in first five trimesters, while the sixth trimester shall consist of project internship of 3 months duration to be undertaken in the organization.
- There shall be short term live / field project after the first trimester while two months summer training project shall be carried out after the third trimester.
- Each theory paper shall be covered in 36 hours of teaching sessions.
- The teaching methodology shall include classroom lectures, case discussion, quiz, etc.
- The teaching shall be through oral lectures supported by audio-visual aids and blackboard.
- Teaching shall be carried out as per the detailed course plan designed according to the syllabus
- In each subject, there shall be internal test to be conducted by the concerned faculty.
- Saturdays shall be kept reserved for guest lectures, industrial / stores visits, field surveys / projects, seminar presentations, case discussion, PDP & soft skills sessions, etc.
- Minimum attendance required for each trimester is 75%
- Students below 75% attendance shall not be allowed to appear for in the examinations
- Name of students remaining absent continuously for 15 days in a Tri-semester, without any prior permission will deleted and their admission may be cancelled by the institute
- Each tri-semester shall be of 3 months duration and for each paper there shall be 36 hours of classroom teaching.
Examination Rules :
- Each paper shall be evaluated on the basis of written end Trimester examination and Internal Assessment. Internal assessment is based on regular participation in class and other activities of the institute, attendance, assignments, project presentation, case analysis
- The break up of marks are as follows;
- Written (end Trimester) : 70
- Internal Assessment : 30
- Total Marks : 100
- The paper is set by the subject teacher and evaluated by the moderation committee
- The duration of each trimester examination will ordinarily be three hours
- Minimum passing percentage for each trimester is 50% in aggregate and 45% in each paper
Why Retail Management career?
- Organized Retail has functions like planning, finance, operations or logistics apart from focussed areas such as merchandising, warehousing and store designing.
- There is ample requirement for trained retail professionals in each of these departments. Some of the senior executives in retail organizations are still under thirty years of age.
- With the entry of large number of MNC retailers in India and expansion of domestic retailers to other countries, there are enormous career opportunities in foreign locations too.
- Firms such as Bharti Retail, RPG Retail, Aditya Birla Retail, Reliance Retail, Wal-Mart, etc. are having ambitious hiring plans in the near future.
- After completion of two year PG management programme in Retail, the candidates shall be able to fulfil the growing demand for management positions in the backend operations apart from those existing in the marketing and customer services.
Job Profile in Retail
- The retail jobs are broadly divided into three categories mainly
- Store design & operations
- Merchandise planning & management
- Various jobs profiles available in retail industry are Store manager, Brand manager, Department executive, Graphic designer, Visual merchandiser, Supply chain & Logistics executive, HR & Training manager, Accounts executive, IT support & MIS executive, Customer care manager, Team leader, Business development manager, Purchase & Sourcing executive, Category manager, Retail analyst, Franchise manager, Retail planner, Retail architect, Marketing executive, Territory manager, etc.
Why is the Retail Management Course of JIMS Rohini is in Demand?
- Our Retail Marketing Program is a Two-year, full time, AICTE approved programme and unique in the sense that very few institutions are presently imparting government approved 2 year,Retail Management courses in our country.
- This programme has been introduced to cater to the demand of industry for specialized candidates in the management level back office operations and marketing jobs in Retail sector. We foresee a very bright future for Retail professionals in view of the fast growth and entry of multinationals in this sector.
- The students are trained for various front office and backend retail operations apart from the core retail and marketing subjects. In view of all round competencies desired by the corporate nowadays, sufficient exposure is provided on the foreign language, IT, finance and general management areas also.
- We Prepare students to take up challenges in the Retail, Banking, consumer goods and other industries that are having retail and marketing operations
- JIMS has also entered into a MOU with Retailers Association of India (RAI), Mumbai which is an association of over 650 retail firms across the country with representation from the top organizations on its board. With this MOU, the students shall immensely benefit in terms of latest academic and corporate inputs from the retail industry and establish JIMS as a leading quality education provider in the field of Retail management also.
- JIMS offers a mix of Retail & Marketing
Marketing specialization papers include Brand Management, Advertising Management, Rural Marketing, Industrial Marketing, Sales and Distribution management, etc.
Retail specialization papers include Visual Merchandising, Store operations, Franchising, IT in Retailing, Mall Management, etc.
So it is also a Dual Specialisation Course.
- German (foreign) language is also taught for two consecutive trimesters to make the students competent for the global environment.